This is the last of the shots from the editing session with our photo group. The original shot is below. Also, a couple of people yesterday commented on the realism that I like to create vs. the otherworldly look some people strive to achieve. The final shot below is more otherworldly in nature and is an effect with these woodland shots that our instructor calls “The Shire”. It is included just for fun.
To enhance the photo, the following changes were made to the original using Lightroom:
– The photo was cropped and possibly straightened (not the most important in this shot)
– A custom white balance was created, though I’m not sure why. I may have hit the slider by mistake and not put it all the way back.
– The overall exposure and contrast were increased
– Shadows and blacks were increased to lighten them
– Clarity and vibrance were increased
– A graduated filter was employed to reduce the over exposure on the top. Even after this was done, the tree and foliage on the far right was still over exposed, so a radial filter was used to decrease the exposure on this area. I considered using the same technique to decrease the exposure of a section of waterfall but decided not to.
To get the shire effect, turn the clarity all the way down.