The Reveal: My Favorite Bridge

The Blacksmith Shop Bridge in July

For a few months now, people have been asking if I have a favorite covered bridge from those I photographed this year.  I told people I wanted to see all of them before deciding.  I had one in mind but felt like I needed to be fair.  My favorite is a little bridge that you can’t even see from the main road. It is called the Blacksmith Shop Bridge.  I returned to photograph it a few weeks ago.   I’d hoped there would still be a lot of colorful leaves all around it, but it’s a little too far north and the trees were mostly bare.

The same bridge in late October.

It’s located in Cornish, NH and was built in 1881 to serve a single family who lived down this road.  It was constructed by James Tasker who built several covered bridges in the area.  It was restored in 1963 and then again in 1983.  Tasker’s grandnephew attended the rededication in 1983.

To reach thr bridge, you hike down this short path.

With so many pretty bridges, why is this my favorite?  Those who follow my blog carefully know that I love all things rusty and rustic.  In my life, I’ve always favored the underdog.  I fell in love with the bridge this summer as I made my way down the weed-lined path and saw the chain and “pass at your own risk” sign.  The wood is all weathered and natural.  My love for it deepened when I returned in the fall because without the vegetation, I would see that upstream there are a beautiful cascade and the foundation of what must have been either the blacksmith shop or perhaps a mill of some sort.

There are so many wonderful covered bridges in New Hampshire with creative features and interesting stories but this one is my favorite.

Even in fall it’s hard to get a side view picture because of all the growth around the bridge.

39 thoughts on “The Reveal: My Favorite Bridge

1. Ashley

I can see why this is a favourite and I would have to agree with you, it ticks all my boxes too; rusty, rickety, a bit dilapidated and a wonderful approach through the undergrowth!

2. Les

Yes, Chris, I can understand liking things that are rustic. With this Bridge, it looks like it has not been taken care of very well. Maybe forgotten? That would be a shame to let History fade away. Down this way, that does not happen much. Most all the Covered Bridges are all well maintained for saving the past.

3. Lookoom

The covered bridge and its natural setting have everything it takes to be charming. I agree with your assessment criteria, I also have a fondness for fragile or damaged constructions, since imagination comes into play to reconstitute their perfect state and envisage the necessary work. It is this part of the unconscious process that makes me more attached to the object.

Thank you so much for sharing your favorite Chris! I like your reasoning and love that this is off the beaten path. you have to be a bridge/history enthusiast to find this one. That makes it special. And worth the effort! It’s a real gem. 🤩

I can see how this is your favorite. I love seeing the bridge in the different seasons with the bright green trees, and then the sparse autumn flowers and leaves. The natural, weathered wood adds such charm. I wish we could all see the whole world through your camera lens, you help others see what we might have missed.

I think you’ve chosen very well, Chris. This one’s a little jewel and like you said the lack of vegetation in autumn points out even more its rustic charme. Sure, colourful leaves might have been nice but this way you’ve put the accent on the bridge itself. 😀