River Road Bridge – Pittsburg, NH

The light was very harsh here after the fog burned off. This image didn’t work in color but I liked it in a sepia tone.

This is an interesting little bridge up near the Canadian border.  As you can see it’s been bypassed by another bridge that is wooden but not covered.  Note the extra layer of boards where the rubber meets the road so to speak on the uncovered bridge.  That will help the wooden deck hold up over time.

According to the state’s catalog of the bridges “Little is known about this bridge and nothing has been recorded in the town records. It has now been bypassed. The bridge is closed to all but pedestrian traffic.”  There is however a record that it was built in 1858.

Perry Stream which runs below the bridge is popular for fishing.  I imagine this bridge is a good place to hang out when your done fishing or to stop while traveling around on an ATV.

While many of the bridges are maintained by the state or the town, volunteers take care of the cleaning and maintenance of the River Road Bridge.

40 thoughts on “River Road Bridge – Pittsburg, NH

I thought the first photo was from the bridge archives. It’s a great photo, Chris! Shame nothing is known about this bridge, but at least you have captured it for posterity.

2. Lookoom

Beyond the bridges, I find that it shows a lot about the structure of local communities in New England, this habit of getting by autonomously without waiting for instructions or decisions from the central government. In this case, this is reflected in the lack of information in the centralised archives or in the fact that volunteers take charge.

They are a very self-reliant group of people. A lot of the state is like that. Many of the trails around here are improved or maintained by volunteers from local snowmobile clubs that use them.

3. Christy B

I think that last photo is my fave of the bunch. Love the rusticness and I’m sure there are many stories befind this road bridge, from the construction to the vehicles that have traveled on it.

4. Garfield Hug

So nice to have a picnic bench and chairs for picnic goes to sit and relax or anglers to put stuff and rest on on. I do enjoy your series on bridges and am amazed that there are so many bridges where you live.

1. Garfield Hug

Interesting to know how these bridges must have been built in yesteryears to serve transportation purposes. Today, they stand as testimony of the historical tracings of American heritage. *Some may be younger bridges haha…

I like that you know to try different tones. I need to try that on some of my photos. It always surprises me to see the picnic tables inside. I really didn’t know that was a “thing” until you started sharing your photos. I would love to find places like this on my road trips.

Honestly, I didn’t know picnic tables inside old covered bridges was a thing until I began this project. I’d seen about a dozen covered bridges in NH before that and all were active. It wasn’t until my third trip out this year that I saw my first one and thought it was a one-off. I’ve seen them on the majority of bridges that are no longer open to vehicular traffic.

Beautifully photographed Chris! I love the treatments you used. Also love that the locals have adopted this bridge so to speak, taking on the care and upkeep. Have a great day friend!

7. Pingback: River Road Bridge – Pittsburg, NH — Milford Street – The Bridgehunter's Chronicles