This bridge has had quite the life. In 1850, Jacob Berry and Peter Paddleford built the first covered bridge on this site to replace a crudely framed log bridge that had collapsed. The original cost was $4,000.
That bridge stood for nineteen years until flooding rains lifted the Swift River Covered Bridge off its foundation and sent it crashing into the bridge located here, destroying it.
The Saco River Covered Bridge was rebuilt by Allen and Warren of Conway but was destroyed again by a tannery fire in 1890. The current bridge was built by Charles Broughton and his son Frank.
Just upstream of the bridge is the confluence of the Swift and Saco Rivers.