The Cilleyville Covered Bridge – Andover, NH

What a spot for a picnic. Obviously, this is now a pedestrian only bridge.

The second bridge in Andover known as the Cilleyville Bridge because it is in the Cilleyville section of the town.  It was built in 1887 at a cost of $522.63 and also uses the lattice truss design.

The bridge was built by a local carpenter named Print Atwood. He had two assistants Al Emerson and Charles Wilson.

Local folklore is that during construction, Emerson and Wilson became upset over something and cut some of the timbers short, causing the bridge to tilt.

Modern engineers have suggested, however, that the tilt may be caused by the nature of the lattice truss design.

This style of bridge is also called Town Lattice Truss after the person who patented the design.

The town built a new road over the Blackwater River in 1959 and restricted traffic on the bridge to pedestrians only.

52 thoughts on “The Cilleyville Covered Bridge – Andover, NH

1. niasunset

Your bridge photographs are always so beautiful. I love them all, but especially today the triangle one hit me. Amazing composition you captured. Thank you, Love, nia

Thank you. These spots are worth a visit. They are all so different. One of the ones this morning had a place to put in kayaks and a rope swing for swimming!

1. aratibanstola

Oh, wow! Are you also from the same state?
        Well, I’m from Nepal. I want to explore our country first, we really have a lot of wonderful places to visit. I wonder if you’ve ever been here or not.😊

Nepal! Wow. I’ve never been there but would love to go someday. I live in the neighboring state, New Hampshire. It’s about two hours from this sculpture garden. Have an awesome day.

So glad they preserved the bridge for pedestrians and what an inviting addition the bench makes! Beautiful images here Chris! I just wrapped up a challenging week with a bonus Saturday workday. I’m so happy to be on the other side. I hope you’re having a great day! Take care

Thank you, Sandra. Ugh, I don’t envy your work week. An extra day is not fun. I hope you are having a good day today and maybe a bit of free time this week. It was a good day here. Take care. 😊

I love this one. I keep thinking I have found a favorite and then you post a new one. I can only imagine how beautiful a picnic would be in this bridge.

Thank you. It would be a great spot for a picnic. The next one coming up in the series is really nice and very secluded. It lacks a table but I think it would be nice for a picnic also. There is just something about it and the location. Have a great day.

My last two shoots have been two hours away. I think I drove 240 miles yeaterday, And those aren’t the farthest ones. I’m glad you got your map done. Good for you.

I have loved all the bridges you have shared! I can imagine sitting at that picnic table with the one you love! Exquisite captures! Thank you Chris!

5. YBP

BRAVO CHRIS!!! You are an amazing photographer and storyteller …. consistently excellent! ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫💫💫💫

It’s always so interesting to learn about the history of these bridges! And what a great idea to put up a picnic table right in the middle! 😀