Stowell Road Covered Bridge

Until last weekend, i had no idea that there was a covered bridge so close to home. Typically, I drive all over the state to take pictures of covered bridges in very remote location. There are 55 in the state, and I haven’t even photographed half of them.

Note: The bridges were originally covered to protect the road from rain and snow. The covering themselves are relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of building a bridge over a river. Building a cover over a bridge protected a town’s investment.

36 thoughts on “Stowell Road Covered Bridge

1. Alexandra

I was wondering why the bridges are covered, thanks for explaining that… you do have a lot of covered bridges there, how many have you photographed already? ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think here I’ve seen only one…

This is my 13th covered bridge. Most have been in New Hmapshire, one or two may be in Vermont, and one croses the river between the two. They are challenging to photograph in that they are usually far away on back roads.

I agree with Gail… covered bridges have a story to tell! I love them! And I love this one!
    Isnโ€™t it fun to explore your own area and find treasures such as these!

3. leightontravels

Well, I’m certainly a sucker for a covered bridge article. Nice shot. I once spent an afternoon exploring The Bridges of Madison County, including the famous Roseman Bridge from the book and movie. A few years back, I also spent a few days hunting down the covered bridges of Taishun County, a remote region of Zhejiang Province, China. Your project sounds similarly fun, hope you get ’em all.

Thank you. I have about a dozen of them and there are 55 in the state. I have me work cut out for me. That must have been an experience visiting the famous bridges of Madison County. I didn’t realize that China had covered bridges. Thank you.

What a beautiful setting this would make for a movie. You shot this beautifully too Chris! I did not know the purpose of the covered bridge. Yes, that makes sense. Thank you for this great picture story.

Thank you, Sandra. Itโ€™s in a really pretty spot. Whenever I go to take photos of a covered bridge, I have to hope itโ€™s situated so I can get good light on at least on side. I hope youโ€™re having a great day.

5. YBP

YOU ARE SIMPLY BEYOND AMAZING!!! So blessed with your photos …. I feel your LOVE. Such inspiration! โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

1. YBP

Such a sweet honor coming from you Chris! Thanks for sharing your awesome inspiration! ๐Ÿฅฐโค๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ – Yeka

Oh, that’s a nice one! And good to know you haven’t covered even half of them – I look forward to admire them all in your photos. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And thanks for the lesson, I never knew why these bridges were built like that and thought it was to protect people from rain and snow! ๐Ÿ˜

Thank yo, Sarah. I’m not sure if I intend to get all 55 bridges or not. Some of them are 3-4 hours away to get a single bridge. Maybe if there is a good place for lunch nearby.