Summer Camp

It’s odd living in a town with a summer camp. Why would someone send their kids to stay in our town for a week each summer? But for them, this is “away”. And the lake is beautiful. So why not come here for a week? The camp is only used for about ten weeks a year. The rest of the time, we locals will take a walk through there. I like the older cabins which have the look that they were here in the 1930s for the WPA. (Works Progress Administration – It was a Depression-era program to put the unemployed back to work.)

Did you go to summer camp? Love it or hate it?

19 thoughts on “Summer Camp

1. Liz Gauffreau

I love the old CCC buildings. I went to Girl Scout camp. I remember getting a huge spider bite on ear the first day, which marred the experience. I also went to church camp at Rock Point in Burlington, Vermont. Now, that I liked. (No tents.)

2. Osyth

Summer camps are not a thing in Britain, where I grew up. But my cousins, raised in Connecticut all went and I remember being jealous that they did because the stories sounded so fun. One of them used to go into a total decline when he was fetched and refused to talk to anyone for days, my mother who visited and took part in the collection one year, recalled. He went on to be Director of Camp in Maine. My youngest daughter worked there in Uni Vacs two years running. She loved it.

My parents loved camping. They took my brother and me regularly. I remember my dad’s army green tent, fishing, hiking, frying bacon in the morning, brushing our teeth in the river. It was so much fun.

It sounds like a great time. I’ve done my share of camping as an adult and find one of the best things in the world waking up in a tent on a sunny morning.

4. Alexandra

These cabins look lovely, Chris! I have never been to a summer camp as a child and I tried to send the boys to one last year, up in the mountain, but they didn’t want to go and were going in the morning and coming back in the afternoon for a week lol…

1. Alexandra

my older son was supposed to go to Spain in July, for a language summer camp with his teachers and classmates (is that what you say in English, language summer camp?)… we almost bought the plane ticket and then came corona… maybe next year 🙂 we are stuck home this summer!

5. Ann Coleman

I just went to a week of camp at a girl scout camp, about thirty miles from my home. I was homesick some of the time, and loved it some of the time, and liked it most of the time. But I still have strong memories of the place, so it certainly left an impression!

I can imagine it feeling weird! I’ve never been to a summer camp, they’re not much of a thing here. They used to send city kids to farms in the country for them to get fresh air and a change of scenery but that was before my time and I don’t know if they’re still doing it.