Ice Harvest

Last weekend, Muster Field Farm in Sutton, NH had their annual ice harvest. This working farm also has trails and serves as a museum. They have an old-fashioned ice house and use the ice in the summer to make ice cream. Due to cold and other weather conditions, the ice was extra thick this year. They use the machine to cut down about a foot to score the ice and then the rest of the cutting is done with hand saws; big hand saws. More on that tomorrow. Then the ice is moved with poles to a hoist which lifts the blocks onto a truck.

23 thoughts on “Ice Harvest

1. Dymoon

wow that would be something to see, I remember way back .. somewhere in my mind, being in an old ice house when I was younger, the memory stuck.. don’t know why..

Only a few places in New Hampshire have these ice harvests. I don’t know how many old ice houses are still around. That may have been a unique experience. Cheers

It is great that someone keeps this alive. There are two or three places that do it here in NH. This one is the closest. It’s tricky finding new material. This is the second time, I’ve been to this event. Cheers!

Well….Standing on the ice is not dangerous because it is a half meter thick. They had cars out on the ice. You could fall through the big hole that we cut in the ice. But, you know what? Don’t do that – ha ha ha. They actually put some big blocks of ice around the hole so people are not likely to wander into the water. Have a great week.

2. Alexandra

great images Chris!! what do they do with the ice once it is cut?
    it’s an annual thing, right? and an annual photo project for you as well, along with the ice fishing :)) how cool is that!!

Thanks Alex. They store it in an old fashioned ice house and use it in summer to make ice cream at the farm. They do it every year. The ice fishing derby is next month but there are already little houses out on the lakes.

3. Miss Gentileschi

Oh cool! I wondered about the harvest bit in your title, now I know. 😊 What an awesome idea to make actually ice cream with it. And an ice house sounds so cool (no pun intended πŸ˜‰) in our modern times. Would love to see the museum. I wonder, does anyone swim in the pools afterwards or is that a thing only the Russians do?

We did not stay until the end. I’ve not heard of anyone getting in afterwards. It would take assistance or use of ice picks to pull yourself out, though, because the hole is in the middle of the ice. They do have a rescue squad on standby in case someone accidentally goes in. Brrrrrrr

4. sloppy buddhist

very cool…thanks for sharing this event…i’m sure it’s safe…with ppl who know what it’s all about…i like the thought of ppl taking that polar bear plunge…smiles from snowy etown…have a wonderful week Chris πŸ˜€

5. prior..

I am reading in reverse so I saw the cool hand saws – and they are big!
    how fun
    also – the photos are extra nice because the colorful winter clothes stand out with the white snow – and has another element of artsy
    πŸ™‚

6. Steph McCoy

I was thinking the same as one of your other commenters about the danger. I’ve never heard of ice harvesting before. Another thing to add to my Google list. Great pics.